From corn and various veggies to crab and apples, fritters are as versatile as the different cultures that cook them. It is thought that we have the Portuguese and Spanish explorers to thank for such a wide, global spread, brining frying techniques all over with them as early as the 16th century!
This vegetarian fritter recipe makes a perfect appetizer, snack, or small meal anywhere!
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 10 minutes. Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth, drain zucchini completely.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, flour, Parmesan, garlic and egg; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula, and cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately.
Servings Per Container 4
This recipe was courtesy of Damn Delicious.