Tacos are trendy, but exactly how old are they? No one really knows, but it’s believed that the first tacos were eaten somewhere between 1,000 and 500 BC!
This casserole recipe is a little more recent, but no less tasty. One bite and you’ll be sure to add it to your regular dinner routine!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 10 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 oz fat-free refried beans canned
- 8 oz tomatoes & chilis canned
- 2 c Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray, set it over medium heat and allow it to get hot. Sauté veggies with garlic until they are softened. Drain any excess liquid and transfer to a bowl.
- Brown ground meat, drain and then transfer to the same bowl and mix with canned beans and tomatoes and chilis.
- Mix in taco seasoning thoroughly and then transfer mixture to a 13×9 casserole dish.
- Evenly spread out fat free refried beans on top (this may be easier if you heat them in a microwave safe bowl for a minute or so.
- Top with cheese and then bake in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is oozy, melty and slightly browned.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
This recipe comes courtesy of Bariatric Foodie.