Did you know? Long ago, some societies put such value on cocoa beans that they were literally used as currency—sounds reasonable to us!
Today, all you need is 10 minutes of preparation, 30 minutes to chill, and voila—a delicious fudge dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth (that won’t break the bank).
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 package (1.4 oz) sugar-free, fat-free chocolate fudge instant pudding
- 1 cup cold skim milk
- 16 ounces silken tofu
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the hot water and unflavored gelatin. Set aside and allow to firm.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cold skim milk and instant pudding mix.
- Dice the tofu into ½- to 1-inch cubes and place in bowl with pudding mixture. Quickly whisk together to break up the soy cubes.
- Add the vanilla extract and optional cocoa powder and peppermint extract.
- Spoon the pudding and tofu mixture into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. You may need to blend for about 5 seconds and hand mix or shake the contents so that the motor does not stick.
- Once the mixture has a smoothie-like texture, gradually add the gelatin until well combined and blend again.
- Pour into a glass 8-inch dish, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to firm. The longer it sits, the firmer it will become.
- Cut into eight portions and enjoy!
Serving size 1/2 cup or 2-inch square.
This recipe comes courtesy of Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin.