How much do you love barbecue? Enough to start your own exclusive club? Well, that’s exactly what a group in Kansas City did, aptly naming themselves Kansas City Barbecue Society! Getting admittance into the society is a rigid process, and there’s even an age restriction. Given Kansas City’s status as “barbecue capital of the United States,” we imagine that probably know a thing or two about good barbecue!
Impress your favorite BBQ aficionado with this amazing recipe for low-fat barbecue chicken meatballs!
Baked Chicken Meatballs with Tangy BBQ Sauce
- 1 pound ground chicken, 98% fat-free
- 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 medium red pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Tangy BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat mat.
- Combine ground chicken, breadcrumbs and egg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine red onion, carrot, red pepper, parsley and garlic in container of food processor fitted with a metal blade. Cover and pulse until finely chopped. Add to ground chicken along with salt and pepper. Lightly mix together with your hands. Do not over-mix as this will produce tough meatballs.
- Use your hands to roll out 12-14 golf ball sized meatballs and spread them out on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- For the Tangy BBQ Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a large skillet, stirring to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until hot and bubbly.
- When meatballs are baked, remove from baking sheet and add to the BBQ sauce, rolling each ball to coat evenly. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to a week. Also can freeze for up to 2 to 3 months.
This great recipe comes courtesy of “Inside Karen’s Kitchen!”