Coconuts aren’t made from cocoa, and they certainly aren’t nuts. So where did the name “coconut” come from? Well, it’s been speculated that when Portuguese sailors arrived in the Americas in the 15th century, they called them “coco,” which means “laughing face.”
You know, now that we think about it, we can see it too! We promise no coconut faces need to be harmed to make this tasty chicken salad.
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 8 leaves lettuce
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In a large bowl combine chicken, shredded cabbage, drained pineapple, mayonnaise, coconut, lime juice, cilantro, and Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- Divide chicken mixture between leaves. Fold in sides and roll up. Secure with toothpicks, if needed. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
This recipe comes courtesy of “Eating Well Kitchen.”