Campbell’s first started canning “noodle soup with chicken” in the early 1930’s, and chicken noodle soup as we know it became a staple of American cuisine. Chicken noodle soup is a must-have in every household in the country, especially as cold and flu season draws near.
While this traditional dish is delicious, our understanding of carbs and their effect on our bodies has led to this healthy modification of a classic. Allow us to introduce: chicken ZOODLE soup, made with fresh zucchini and scrumptious chicken!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. (3 medium-sized) zucchini, spiralized*
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme and rosemary until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock, bay leaf and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in zucchini noodles and chicken; reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with rosemary and parsley, if desired.
Serves 2 (serving size of 4 cups).
This great recipe comes courtesy of “Damn Delicious!”