In a fast-paced world where sometimes the slowest speed feels “full throttle,” sitting down for a meal isn’t always possible. That’s why many people use protein bars to stay upright and on the go all day. Did you know that in some parts of the country, you can even buy bars that use crickets for the protein? It may seem odd to us, but crickets are growing in popularity as an alternative source of protein.
There’s certainly no crickets in this protein bite recipe — just delicious apples, oats, and a whole lot of goodness!
- 140 g/1½ cups rolled oats
- I x 50 g scoop protein powder of your choice – your scoop size may differ
- 1 medium grated apple (I used Pink Lady)
- 120 g/½ cup unsweetened crunchy almond or other nut butter
- 50 g/generous ½ cup unsweetened desiccated/shredded coconut (plus extra for coating if liked)
- 5 tbsp sugar-free and no calorie syrup or honey (I used a Starbucks sugar-free syrup but sometime use agave nectar, Sweet Freedom or Da Vinci syrups)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Mix the oats with the protein powder, if used, apple, nut butter, coconut, syrup and ground cinnamon in a food processor until fully combined. If using protein powder then a little extra syrup may be required depending upon the juiciness of the apple.
- Divide and shape the mixture into about 12 balls (each about 2 tbsp of the mixture) then roll in extra coconut if liked. Place on a plate and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serves 1 (Amounts per ball)
This tasty recipe is courtesy of “Bariatric Cookery.”