Tomatoes are a fruit, but potatoes aren’t — so it might come as a shock to learn that they BOTH are the eggplant’s two closest relatives in the plant kingdom! While having the consistency of a potato, an eggplant contains the same vitamins and minerals as a tomato.
Follow this recipe for the best baked eggplant dish this side of the garden!
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- to taste salt
- to taste freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sauté eggplant rounds in olive oil until tender, set aside.
- Sauté peppers and onion until aromatic and slightly translucent.
- In an 8-inch square casserole dish, arrange in layers: eggplant, peppers, onions, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Repeat layers.
- Pour tomato sauce over top of layered vegetables.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes uncovered.
This recipe comes courtesy of “Nutritious Life”